Without a doubt, my favourite Greek food as a child and today! Photo is before baking.
10 bell peppers / larger-sized tomatoes
2 lbs lean ground beef
1 rounded tablespoon of Italian rice for every pepper to stuff
1 can tomatoes
olive oil - salt - pepper - oregano
1 grated onion
- Sautee onion with some oil and add the beef, salt, pepper, parsely.
- When beef has browned add the tomatoes, 1 cup of water and rice. Let simmer for a few minutes until most of the water is gone.
- Peppers should be opened at the top, keep the "lids". Clean peppers of seeds and fill.
- Cut up potatoes and spread throughout the pan. (This step was added on to my Thea Mary's suggestion. It's the way they make it in Greece, but my mom never added potatoes to gemista.)
- Peppers should be open-side down, unless you want to turn them, mid-baking.
- Add 1/2 cup of water to the pan, sprinkle salt and olive oil over everything just before you bake at 380F until the peppers are burned on top and the outer layer is wilted.
- Serve with... Feta!